Mantra Parramatta is situated 40 minutes from the Sydney CBD and is accessible via public transport or private vehicle. For a more scenic journey, you can catch the ferry from Parramatta and travel along the water into Sydney’s city centre. If you’re planning to visit the Blue Mountains, Parramatta is a great place to base yourself, being just 30 minutes’ away. In Parramatta there is a lot to explore, from taking a stroll along the river foreshore, to visiting the many parks and gardens, many of which include playgrounds for children. Make a day out of it by packing up a picnic and heading down to Parramatta Park. Walk around Lake Parramatta and discover the many outdoor green spaces that are popular with locals.
Discover the history of Australia’s oldest surviving convict sites at Old Government House. From this Eastern city, the Blue Mountains are just 30 minutes train ride from Parramatta, where you can take in the beauty of this World Heritage listed region. See the splendor of the three sisters – an unusual rock formation – and learn about the Aboriginal legend of how they came to be.
When it comes to entertainment, Parramatta has you covered at the Riverside Theatre, which offers a diverse variety of cabaret performances and is a great way to spend an evening. Treat yourself to lunch or dinner at one of the many eateries around Eat Street. If you’re planning to cook for yourself, there is fresh food a plenty, with fruit and vegetables available for purchase at the Centenary Square Farmers Markets.
There is a lot happening in and around Parramatta, from fantastic food to a wide range of shopping options at Westfield, to wide open outdoor spaces, heritage sites, and a bustling nightlife with pubs, clubs, theatres, movies and sporting events.
Things to do in Parramatta
- Elizabeth Farm – 1.3km walk
- Old Government House Parramatta – 2.1km drive
- Hambledon Cottage House Museum – 850m walk
- Parramatta Park – 1.2km walk
- Lake Parramatta Reserve – 5.6km drive
- Riverside Brewing Co – 3.5km drive
- Westfield Parramatta – 450m drive
- Sydney Olympic Park – 8.6km drive
Events not to miss in Parramatta
- Australia Day – January
- Sydney Festival Parramatta – January
- Sydney Symphony in Parramatta Park – March
- Parramatta Lanes – October
- Foundation Day – November
- Loy Krathong – 22 November
- Christmas Lighting of the Tree & Christmas Concert – November
- New Years’ Eve – December