Situated right at the Top End of Australia, Darwin offers a unique blend of traditional Australia with multi-cultural influences from neighbouring Asia and further afield.
A modern and bustling city, Darwin is set on a huge picturesque harbour, which offers incredible views out over the Arafura Sea, particularly at sunset when tropical red skies light up the horizon.
Darwin is well known for its humid weather, dramatic scenery, laid back lifestyle, and amazing wildlife. Fishing is hugely popular here, and you'll be amazed at the range of fresh seafood available at restaurants all over the city. Other local delicacies you might find on the menu include kangaroo, buffalo, crocodile and camel, alongside many less adventurous dishes.
Take a drive up to Kakadu National Park for a truly Australian experience where you can see a huge range of unique wildlife, incredible tropical scenery, as well as ancient Aboriginal rock art.
Within the city, head to Mitchell Street and Smith Street Mall for a bit of retail therapy and grab a coffee or bite to eat. Mindil Beach Sunset Markets are another popular place to visit, with international food stalls, homewares and crafts as well as traditional aboriginal art.
Things to do in Darwin
- Museum and Art Gallery NT (MAGNT)
- Australian Aviation Heritage Centre
- Burnett House
- Casuarina Coastal Reserve
- Charles Darwin national park
- Cullen Bay marina
- Stokes Hill Wharf and Darwin Waterfront Precinct
- Darwin Convention Centre
- Deckchair Cinema
- East point reserve and lake alexander
- Fannie Bay gaol
- Mindil Beach Sunset Markets
Darwin events not to miss
- Territory Taste Festival – May
- Greek Glenti – June
- V8 Supercars – June
- Territory Day – July
- The Darwin Cup Carnival - August
- Darwin Festival – August
- Darwin Fridge Festival - August
- Darwin Aboriginal Art Fair – August
- Darwin International Film Festival - September