The cosmopolitan city of Brisbane is a fusion of modern and heritage architecture dotted along the winding Brisbane River. The Sunshine State's largest city is a popular place to live offering so much to see and do for locals and visitors. With great shopping, a thriving dining and entertainment scene, and lots of sporting events throughout the year, there's something for everyone here.
At Mantra on Queen many of Brisbane's attractions are just a short walk away. Shop till you drop, starting at the kilometre long Queen Street Mall in the city centre and moving on to the more alternative shopping at James Street in Fortitude Valley. Eagle Street Pier is also within easy walking distance of the hotel and has good markets every Sunday morning.
Brisbane has a well-established dining scene, with a huge range of restaurants and cafes offering food from all over the globe. With the city on one side, and the edgy Fortitude Valley on the other, Mantra on Queen sits in the perfect place to explore the best of Brisbane's restaurants, cafes and bars.
For a dose of culture, hit South Bank, where you can catch world-class musicals and theatre at QPAC, or check out the latest exhibit at the Queensland Museum. As a little reminder that you're still in Queensland, a short stroll along the river at South Bank will take you to Australia's only beach in the middle of the city. The man-made swimming beach and crystal clear lagoon is the place to escape the heat on a sunny day, and a truly Brisbane experience.
Things to do in Brisbane
- Queen St Mall - shopping
- James Street (Fortitude Valley) - shopping
- Eagle Street Pier - dining
- Southbank Friday night markets
- Queensland Performing Arts Centre (QPAC)
- The Brisbane Wheel
- Gallery of Modern Art (GOMA)
- Queensland Art Gallery
- Queensland Museum and the Science Centre
- Eagle St Pier Dining & Bar Precinct
- South Bank Parklands & Beach
- Fig Tree Pocket Koala Sanctuary
- Tangalooma Island
- Mt Coo-tha for picnics, restaurant and great views
Brisbane events not to miss
- State of Origin - Throughout winter
- RiverFest Festival of Brisbane including Riverfire - September
- Ekka at the Showgrounds - August
- Valley Fiesta - November
- Brisbane Irish Festival - March
- Oktoberfest - October
- Brisbane International Tennis - January
- Australia Day Celebrations - January
- Chinese New Year - January or February
- Brisbane Boat Show - September
- Brisbane Truck Show - May
- Brisbane Marathon - August
- Brisbane International Film Festival - November