Often referred to as the jewel in Queensland's crown, Hervey Bay is a peaceful and picturesque seaside town that can boast pristine beaches and a community that cares about the creatures swimming beneath its waters.
Best known for being the whale watching capital, Hervey Bay is 3.5 hours' drive from Brisbane and boasts a lifestyle centred around the coast and all it has to offer. The Urangan Marina offers whale watching tours, sunset cruises, sailing and day trips to fantastic places like Lady Elliot Island and the World Heritage-listed Fraser Island with its freshwater lakes and rainforest tracks.
There are endless fun activities to be found, from fishing the mangrove-lined creeks to 4WD beach tours on the hunt for a shipwreck
Shoppers will enjoy the diverse boutiques and local markets, there are endless quality places to dine on the local fresh seafood, and kids will rave about all the fun from go-karting and mini golf to glass bottom boats and bird parks.
Of course if you're in town during whale watching season you might catch the celebration of the annual Hervey Bay Whale Festival, or take the chance to get close with a whale watching tour.
Things to do in Hervey Bay
- Humpback Whale Watching (August to November)
- Fraser Island day trips and Hummer Tours
- Lady Elliot Island day trips
- Wetside Water Park
- Sunset cruises
- Hervey Bay Historical Village
Hervey Bay events not to miss
- Hervey Bay Seafood Festival - August
- Hervey Bay Whale Festival - August
- Pier Park Markets - 7am – 1pm on 1st and 3rd Saturday of every month
- Pier Park Farmers Market - Saturday 7am – 1pm