Fascinating Attractions on Both Land and Sea – Geraldton's Got it All
For some of the best the West has to offer come to Geraldton, 424km north of Perth on the mid-west coast of Western Australia. You'll by awestruck by the magnificent Batavia Coast and in particular Champion Bay, where this spectacular piece of coastline is situated.
You'll never be at a loss for things to do in the fourth largest city in Western Australia with choices ranging from amazing kite surfing, fishing, diving, swimming and of course windsurfing - Champion Bay is world renowned for it.
Enjoy the stunning sunsets from one of the many beautiful beaches or take a day trip to the Abrolhos Islands and see the brightly coloured fisherman camps, the marine life including sharks, manta rays, dolphins and migratory whales (in season); the pearl farms, the historic church on Basile Island and some great shipwrecks.
The 122 islands in the area are a haven for breeding-seabirds, sea lions, dolphins and migratory whales.
On land Geraldton is the perfect base for self-drive tours. Witness the wonder of the wildflowers, the Leaning Trees on the Greenough Flats where the Red River Gums lie completely horizontal due to prevailing southerly winds over the years.
If you're the curious type or if you're just after a little education, visit the Western Australian Museum. You will discover fascinating shipwrecks, ancient landforms, Yamaji aboriginal history and culture, as well as intriguing natural landscapes and marine environment from the region.
Things to do in Geraldton
- HMAS Sydney Memorial - 1.2km
- Western Australian Museum - 160m
- Abrolhos Islands - 60km off coast
- Old Geraldton Goal - 550m
- Geraldton Back Beach - 3.5km
- Race track when races are held - 7.5km
- Sand dunes for those with 4wd experience
- Art galleries - 550m
- Leaning trees - 1km
- Greenough river walk trail - 12.2km
- Batavia long boat replica
- Central Greenough Historic Settlement – 25km
- St Francis Xavier Cathedral - 2.2km
- Victoria Hospital and Old Gaol - 1.4km
- Scuba diving - 700m
- Chapman Valley Lavender Farm – 15km
- Restaurants and shops - 800m
- Batavia Coast Marina - on your doorstep
Geraldton Events not to miss
- Platform Markets - craft & local produce at the old Railway Station on Sundays (8am-noon)
- Farmers Markets - fresh local produce at Maitland Park on Saturdays (8am-noon)
- Dongara Larry Lobster Festival - annual event in mid November including blessing of the fleet
- Dongara Drive In - every Friday with gates opening 5.30 & screenings at 7pm
- Geraldton Cup - horse racing in March annually
- Kalbarri Canoe & Cray Festival - June annually
- Mullewa Wildflower Show - August annually
- Chapman Valley Agricultural Society Show - September annually
- Geraldton-Greenough Sunshine Festival - October annually
- Northampton Airing of the Quilts - October annually